It’s already the end of February which means 2018 is flying by! All the “new year, new me” buzz is settling down but have you stayed on track with your goals or new years’ resolutions? Hopefully, you are but also remember to cut yourself some slack once in a while and splurge on a sweet (yet still healthy) treat! If that is exactly what you are looking for you have come to the right place!
Years ago at a family potluck, my aunt brought a dessert I had never seen or tasted before. From the looks of it, all I knew was that there were graham crackers and some sort of limey cream topping. Being a Florida native growing up with key lime pie, I just knew it was going to be good! Sure enough, this quickly became my favorite go-to dessert because it was so incredibly delicious but also extremely easy to make.
Of course, this was back in the non-vegan days so this dessert was made with whole dairy products such as condensed milk and table cream. FML right?…WRONG! Come on guys, being vegan is all about having a positive outlook, being creative and finding solutions.
The point is, there is always a way to make a recipe vegan! Read below and see how I made these babies 100% vegan, dairy-free, etc!
- Nabisco Graham crackers
- 1 can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/2 can evaporated coconut milk
- 2 limes
These Nabisco graham crackers are the only ones I found at the store that did not include honey as an ingredient. I picked up the condensed milk and evaporated milk at Wholefoods in the baking section, but you can also buy it in bulk on Amazon for a reduced price.
- Combine condensed and evaporated milk in a blender. Add juice from the two limes and blend.
- Lay a layer of graham crackers at the base of an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ square baking dish.
- Pour some of the cream over the crackers and set another layer on top.
- Repeat for a third layer and pour remaining cream over top.
- Use a cheese grater (smaller holes) to sprinkle so lime peel zest on the creamy dessert.
- Cover dish and place in the fridge for at least 5 hours, but preferably overnight. The longer it is left in the fridge to harden the thicker and creamier it feels.
- Cut and serve for a refreshingly sweet treat!
So if you have been searching far and wide for the perfect dessert, you can finally take a breath because this one will not disappoint. If any of you decide to give this a go, let me know how you like it. Enjoy!